RE: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim
Date: 05 Mar 2002 22:14:50 +0100

Sorry, there are still a few points that are not clear for me:

About the size: When I said the character was 100 pixels height, you replied that the feets shouldn't be taken into account (and you placed the images on the fakeshot accordingly to this). But, when you look at the 0.3 character, you realise that his position is actually a bit behind the new one - his feets are completely on the same square (his gravity center being at the bottom of the square), while the new character has his feets overlapping to the next square (his gravity center being exactly at the limit of the two squares).

I've compared the ripped character I use for the new mapengine tests with the skeleton. While the ripped character looks quite fine on the map test (maybe being a little bit too small), the new one seems really enormous in comparison. What I fear is that even small houses will be so huge you could never see them entirely - and the area around would be too limited, making it difficult for the player to orient himself.

See the attached shot (of the new map engine, Ben, don't be scared ;)) to compare the two characters. As you can see, their gravity center is exactly at the same level. I'd say, a slight scale so the head of the skeleton fits into the square it currently overlaps vertically would make it perfect. Sorry for this never ending thread, but I hardly feel it the size it is now. (don't forget also that the bigger it is, the more frames you need to make a smooth animation ;)). Of course, it's harder to judge on the skeleton. Maybe we could reach a final decision once we have the same south frame, but with an actual character on it. The ske

Oh, last recommandation - I don't know if I told it already, but please to not draw the shadows of the characters anymore. As there will be some sort of altitude parameters, allowing them to fall and such, this will be handled separately.

That's about all!  ;)
Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org