Re: [vile] Some issues/features

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Some issues/features
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:12:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Chris G wrote:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 01:27:34PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 05:17:16 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

That, and working on a different X driver were my current plan.

A different X driver?  What does that mean concretely?  I personally am
quite happy with XVile.

Well, so am I, except for one thing - the available typefaces.  I'm
tending to use vile in a terminal nowadays in preference to xvile
because the available typefaces (gnome-terminal and/or xcfe4-terminal)
are *so* much nicer than those available in xvile.

Will the 'different X driver' make more typefaces available?

That's pretty much what's driving it (pun).

Actually, I _could_ make a compile-time option to use Xft/fontconfig,
which would work.  However, the TrueType fonts which you're likely to
be using are generally small, poor coverage of the Unicode range.
The workaround used in vte, etc., is to use fontsets (by whatever name),
and I'm curious about the tradeoffs (size/time) available from some of
the toolkits.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net