Re: [vile] Some issues/features

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Some issues/features
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:23:53 +0100

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:53:57AM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some issues/ideas I wanted to share.  If you want me to file bug
> reports about it, I am happy to.  But maybe discussing a bit first is
> better.
>
> 1. Reformatting in bulleted lists.
>
> I often write a paragraph for some list item as follows:
>
>   * This is a nice piece of text in a bulleted list
>     and this is the next line and there is even more
>     on the next line but that doesn't really matter.
>
> But when I try to reformat the region using ^A-f, I get:
>
>   * This is a nice piece of text in a bulleted list and this is the next
>     * line and there is even more on the next line but that doesn't
>     * really matter.
>
> This is not really what I want.  The help explains that it tries to do
> the "right" thing, but since I'm not doing any C-code here, it's doing
> the wrong thing.  Is there something wrong with my settings?  Even if it
> would be the "right" thing for C", should it format it as follows?
>
>   * This is a nice piece of text in a bulleted list and this is the next
>   * line and there is even more on the next line but that doesn't
>   * really matter.

Personally I never understood the logic of a row of asterisks at the
LHS of a comment block in C.  As far as I'm concerned a comment block
should be:-

/*

    This is a comment
    With some more comments
    and even more
*/

Reformatting from 'outside' the comment block should leave it
completely alone, reformatting inside treats it as normal text (which
is exactly what it is).

> 2. The wrapmargin/fillcol settings.
>
> I usually set wrapmargin to -80 and have word wrapping enabled as to not
> exceed the 80-col convention while inserting text.  Sometimes
> post-reformating is very useful, so I've tried setting fillcol=75 (and
> 72 for mail).  However, when you then type 80col-wrapped text and then
> later reformat, the text changes, while it should be idempotent.
> Because the help info suggestes that using both is not a wise idea, I
> tried setting wrapmargin=-80 and fillcol=0 but than something weird
> happens.  If I open a file and take the following sentence:
>
>   This is some sentence that is supposed to be longer than 75 characters
>   to illustrate my example.
>
> and I reformat it, I get a
>
>   This is some sentence that is supposed to be longer than 75 characters to
> kind of ilillustrate my example.
>
> which puzzles me?

I used to use wrapmargin to limit my E-Mails to 72 columns but now
(for some good reason that I can't remember, it was discussed here a
*long* time ago) I use fillcol=70 and wrapmargin=0.  This works OK in
general except for the actual way that vile moves the text - it waits
for a space after a word before moving it to the next line.  I'd
really prefer to have the word moved as soon as it goes past 70
columns.

No comment on the third item.

--
Chris Green