Re: [vile] Some issues/features

From: Paul van Tilburg
Subject: Re: [vile] Some issues/features
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:30:59 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:17:16AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> >1. Reformatting in bulleted lists.
> >
> >I often write a paragraph for some list item as follows:
> >
> > * This is a nice piece of text in a bulleted list
> >   and this is the next line and there is even more
> >   on the next line but that doesn't really matter.
> >
> >But when I try to reformat the region using ^A-f, I get:
> >
> > * This is a nice piece of text in a bulleted list and this is the next
> >   * line and there is even more on the next line but that doesn't
> >   * really matter.
>
> Offhand, I'd think the place to tweak this is here:
>
>    comment-prefix=^\s*\(\(\s*[#*>]\)\|\(///*\)\)\+
>
> The relevant chunk of code seems to be the first part of this:
>
> [snip...]
>
> Essentially what it's trying to do is to replicate the part of the
> previous line that matches the comment-prefix pattern onto the next
> line.  The other two parts of the chunk could be improved by adding
> modes to enable/disable those.

Maybe this can be tied in with cmode?

> >2. The wrapmargin/fillcol settings.
> >
> >[snip...]
> >
> > This is some sentence that is supposed to be longer than 75 characters
> > to illustrate my example.
> >
> >and I reformat it, I get a
> >
> > This is some sentence that is supposed to be longer than 75 characters to
> > kind of ilillustrate my example.
> >
> >which puzzles me?
>
> I'm puzzled here - sounds as if the line is not being wrapped in the
> result.

Actually, I should have given a stronger example.  If I make the line
long enough it is wrapped.  I tested with fillcol=0 and wrapmargin=-75;
then it wraps at 157 (??) characters.

> >3. Text format flowed/fixed
> >
> >This is mainly inspired by RFC 2646.
> >Mostly, I write text in a fixed format.  A paragraph contains of several
> >lines that fill 80 columns maximum (preferably 75) each and is ended
> >with an empty line (2 times LF).  This works for example great for
> >LaTeX.  However, I sometimes coauthor a document with someone who uses
> >the flowed format.  This means a paragraph is a long line that is not
> >wrapped and ended with LF (or CRLF).
>
> yes - this was something that I intended looking at - and 9.8's out,
> so it would be nice to start working on this feature.  That, and
> working on a different X driver were my current plan.

Cool!  Thanks. :)

Paul

--
PhD Student @ Eindhoven                     | email: address@hidden