Re: [vile] Some issues/features

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: [vile] Some issues/features
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:37:03 +1000

On 29 September 2010 19:52, Paul van Tilburg <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:23:53AM +0100, Chris G wrote:
>> I used to use wrapmargin to limit my E-Mails to 72 columns but now
>> (for some good reason that I can't remember, it was discussed here a
>> *long* time ago) I use fillcol=70 and wrapmargin=0.
>
> But, if wrapmargin is set to 0, no wrapping is applied while you type,
> right?  At least, not for me, I have just tried it.  I always have to
> reformat afterwards in this case.

vile has two different wrapping mechanisms, one derived from
traditional vi: wrapmargin, and one from emacs: fillcol.  As noted in
the help file, you shouldn't really use both of these at the same
time.

wrapmargin is less useful as it is only respected when wrapping
inserted text (not re-formatting), and at least traditionally it
didn't work terribly well with variable sized windows since the value
was given as the number of characters from the right margin at which
to wrap text when inserting.

fillcol specifies the text width for automatically wrapping inserted
text (when wrapwords is set) and also to use when reformatting text.

I would recommend leaving wrapmargin unset, or explicitly setting it
to 0, then enabling wrapwords and setting fillcol to your desired
value.

Something like this should do what you want:

  set wrapmargin=0
  set fillcol=72 wrapwords

--bod