Re: [vile] Some issues/features

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Some issues/features
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 05:42:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:17:16AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
1. Reformatting in bulleted lists.

I often write a paragraph for some list item as follows:

* This is a nice piece of text in a bulleted list
  and this is the next line and there is even more
  on the next line but that doesn't really matter.

But when I try to reformat the region using ^A-f, I get:

* This is a nice piece of text in a bulleted list and this is the next
  * line and there is even more on the next line but that doesn't
  * really matter.

Offhand, I'd think the place to tweak this is here:

   comment-prefix=^\s*\(\(\s*[#*>]\)\|\(///*\)\)\+

The relevant chunk of code seems to be the first part of this:

[snip...]

Essentially what it's trying to do is to replicate the part of the
previous line that matches the comment-prefix pattern onto the next
line.  The other two parts of the chunk could be improved by adding
modes to enable/disable those.

Maybe this can be tied in with cmode?

perhaps (though cmode seems to be for indent/tab treatment).

2. The wrapmargin/fillcol settings.

[snip...]

This is some sentence that is supposed to be longer than 75 characters
to illustrate my example.

and I reformat it, I get a

This is some sentence that is supposed to be longer than 75 characters to kind
of ilillustrate my example.

which puzzles me?

I'm puzzled here - sounds as if the line is not being wrapped in the
result.

Actually, I should have given a stronger example.  If I make the line
long enough it is wrapped.  I tested with fillcol=0 and wrapmargin=-75;
then it wraps at 157 (??) characters.

sounds odd (will check, see if I can reproduce this...)

3. Text format flowed/fixed

This is mainly inspired by RFC 2646.
Mostly, I write text in a fixed format.  A paragraph contains of several
lines that fill 80 columns maximum (preferably 75) each and is ended
with an empty line (2 times LF).  This works for example great for
LaTeX.  However, I sometimes coauthor a document with someone who uses
the flowed format.  This means a paragraph is a long line that is not
wrapped and ended with LF (or CRLF).

yes - this was something that I intended looking at - and 9.8's out,
so it would be nice to start working on this feature.  That, and
working on a different X driver were my current plan.

Cool!  Thanks. :)

no problem (the flowed stuff would mostly be in an area that's handling
wrapping of multicolumn characters, which I didn't want to break right away...)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net