Re: [vile] Some issues/features

From: Paul van Tilburg
Subject: Re: [vile] Some issues/features
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:51:45 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:37:03PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> wrapmargin is less useful as it is only respected when wrapping
> inserted text (not re-formatting), and at least traditionally it
> didn't work terribly well with variable sized windows since the value
> was given as the number of characters from the right margin at which
> to wrap text when inserting.

Ok, but the negative value is there now.  So I tried to use only one
(settting wrapmargin=-75 and fillcol=0), but I apparently made the
wrong choice ;)

> fillcol specifies the text width for automatically wrapping inserted
> text (when wrapwords is set) and also to use when reformatting text.

Indeed.  It makes more sense to use fillcol, because one does not
only wrap, but also occasionally reformat.

> I would recommend leaving wrapmargin unset, or explicitly setting it
> to 0, then enabling wrapwords and setting fillcol to your desired
> value.
>
> Something like this should do what you want:
>
>   set wrapmargin=0
>   set fillcol=72 wrapwords

Works like a charm.  It seems I hadn't set wrapwords before, or at
least not in the global settings.  Odd.  Anyway, now setting just fillcol
works form me.  Thanks.

Paul

--
PhD Student @ Eindhoven                     | email: address@hidden