uracoli-devel

Re: AW: [uracoli-devel] Feature request: ability to change a network add

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: AW: [uracoli-devel] Feature request: ability to change a network address with Wibo
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:07:51 +0100

As Charles Goyard wrote:

> - The juggler, for various reasons, selected some balls over some
> others. To avoid fragmentation in the address sequences, we want to
> renumber the balls. While I have physical access to the balls, I
> don't have wire programming access without opening them, which is a
> hassle.

Well, that's why IEEE 802.15.4 offers two addresses: a "long" (EUI-64)
one, uniquely identifying a node, and a 16-bit one that can be
dynamically assigned inside a network to speed up the communication
(by reducing the size of the address fields).  The latter is normally
chosen by the coordinator of the network (which often, by definition,
uses short address 0x0000 itself), but nobody prevents one from
developing an address allocation scheme for a coordinator-less ad-hoc
network.