uracoli-devel

Re: AW: [uracoli-devel] Feature request: ability to change a network add

From: Charles Goyard
Subject: Re: AW: [uracoli-devel] Feature request: ability to change a network address with Wibo
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:57:54 +0000

Hi Daniel and list,

And my approach to a wireless bootloader was to enable setting the nodeid only
via (wire) programmer. If you modify the node address remotely there is the
chance to kill the config section and you never reach the node via air.
I perfectly agree with your position to be on the safe side of things. That's also why I said my need is a corner case.

Here's the situation :
- I build 50 juggling balls with Wibo inside. Every ball has slightly different characteristics : weight, light diffusion, "feeling" etc... - The juggler, for various reasons, selected some balls over some others. To avoid fragmentation in the address sequences, we want to renumber the balls. While I have physical access to the balls, I don't have wire programming access without opening them, which is a hassle.

Maybe having a fallback configuration (like channel=1 panid=1 addr=1) in case things go wrong could enable network config change. It implies storing some sort of CRC for the network parameters, just like Axel suggested.

All in all, I agree with you when it comes to safety first. But well, sometimes there's a need for Bad Things :).

--
Charlot