Re: Swarm on Mac OSX 10.2.2?

From: Brad Cox
Subject: Re: Swarm on Mac OSX 10.2.2?
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 20:14:52 -0500

I downloaded swarm from CVS and compared it with a copy of gcc3.1 I had laying around. The only substantive change I noticed was the optimization you mentioned, cashing of class pointers to save lookup time.

90% of the differences were replacing isdigit() with isDigit(). Any idea why this difference? Is this cosmetic or substantive?

As I read your note, the goal is to adopt the GNU version for speed while retaining compatibility with any swarm-specific differences, of which I saw nothing obvious in this quick scan. I gather the divergence is solely between GNU/Cygnus and Swarm, not Apple? You mentioned java compatibility somewhere but I saw no traces of this.

If first impressions are right, this shouldn't be a big job. On the other hand, I've so far failed to assemble the dependencies to install the swarm RPMs on my Linux box and my main priority is finding a new job. I'll take a shot at integrating the differences but don't count on me just yet; there's far too much on my plate as it is.

Related matter: The reason I'm interested in swarm is that I want to build a simulation for testing a notion I've been developing for some time. The basic idea is to contrast societal cohesion/competitive power in societies where agents obtain resources by choosing between three strategies: win-lose (predator/prey, aggressor/victim; e.g. criminal behavior), communal (non-quantitative, non-commercial, property-averse pot-latch style exchange between familial or tribal members; e.g. al Quaida, African tribes), and commercial (quantitative property-conscious commercial-style exchange transactions; e.g. European/Israeli).

Does anyone know of similar work I might build on?

        Brad Cox