Re: Swarm on Mac OSX 10.2.2?

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: Swarm on Mac OSX 10.2.2?
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 12:20:22 +1100

I finally got back to work on this in a serious way this week.

Things have improved dramatically with the improvements in MacOS 10.2.2
and updates to Tcl/Tk and BLT.

I was intending to post some updated instructions and patches on the web
site next week after getting some configuration mods into the CVS.

Basically the state of the game using XFree86 is this:
1.  10.2.2 is based on gcc-3.1.  More recent (bug-fixed) versions of 3.1
are available from the Apple open source CVS un the
'fearless-kitty-branch' tag.  The HEAD tag will give you gcc3.3 compiler.
The version I have been using this week is gcc3-1301 based on FSF sources
at 20 Nov.  These compilers will build and install on 10.2.2 without any
modifications to sources or the build system.  I have a kluged verson of
gcc_select that allows all three (gcc-2.95 gcc3.1 gcc3.3) compilers to be
resident at the same time.
2. Tcl/Tk versions 8.4.1, and HD5-1.5.42 build unmodified from the
distributions, and pass most tests.  The only problems seem to be some
routines in the Tk tests crashing the OroborosX window manager.  They wll
probably be OK with a simpler window manager.
3. BLT2.4z will build after only small changes in the autoconf stuff.
(This seems now to be true of most GNU packages on 10.2.2) It appears to
run the various demos.  I will try to get these mods into the next
distribution.
4.  I can get the current CVS of Swarm to run the autogen.sh script and
configure in what appears to be the correct manner.  Again this only
needed minor mods to the autoconf stuff.
5.   I am now working on avcall and libobjc in Swarm.   I think this is
the hard bit.  So I was looking for some help from the better programmers
after I had posted the story so far.   I have an old G3 Mac which I intend
to put online with a 10.2.2 OS and the compilers etc.  I promised an
account on this box to Russell and anyone else, who is willing to help, is
welcome to an account.

I would love to hear from Alex Perrone who posts messages saying that he
can compile most of the Swarm code.  Hi Alex: please let us know what you
have done.

Hopefully some of the Swarmers will be at UNSW next week for Alife and we
can meet up.  My UNSW extension is 5878 or Sydney 9385 5878.

Bill Northcott

http://virtualschool.edu