Re: error

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: error
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:47:37 -0500

Hm. Unless you reformat your hard disk, I don't guess just reinstalling Windows or Swarm will have any effect, because whatever has happened does not get undone. Since we know swarm itself does work, the problem has to be something in your environment PATH, SWARMDIR, or it has to be in your bash settings.

You have not mentioned if Swarm models written in Objective-C still work. That might give us a hint.

And it would be best to try to remember what changed to make this problem appear in the first place. I bet it was an update of Cygwin or some other windows program that changed your settings.

Also, get into a cygwin terminal window and do some diagnostics. type "env" and see if the Swarm/bin directory is at the front of the path. See if SWARMDIR or SWARMHOME is set correctly.

Figure out what .bashrc or .bash_login files are being used to start your terminal, look in there to see what might be wrong.

I recall in reading in the SwarmFaq that you can diagnose troubles with your java environment by running

eval javaswarm

that will print out your environment. Look it over. You can just directly export those yourself and run swarm with the java command. James Marshall recently posted several notes about the Windows Environment and the bare minimums needed, you might search for his messages in swarm. Although the "face page" of the mail archives appears to stop in May, the archives do still continue after that, and you can still search or open months ifyou type in the right directory name.

pj

ps Join SDG and support the Swarm effort.

Fred Wan wrote:
I don't think that's cool at all... I've reinstalled swarm, java and even
W2000, but I still get this weird message... Any suggestions would be
welcome.

Fred.