Re: Redhat 5.0 libtclobjc problems: here are the error messages

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.0 libtclobjc problems: here are the error messages
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 09:29:58 -0600 (CST)

I've been doing more reading on GCC and ELF.  If a library is in /usr/lib
in either the so or a form, linux is going to try to use it, and it will
use an .so instead of .a to be more in the "dynamic" spirit.  The system
looks in /usr/lib, even though it is not in ld.so.conf, because /usr/lib
is a "trusted" directory.  I'm studying more about some commands that
seem to be able to override some of this behavior, but none of the info
documents come right out and say "if you want the compiler to use libtcl.a
from /usr/local/lib instead of libtcl.so form /usr/lib, here is what to do."

THe problem you have makes me wonder what you see if you ru /sbin/ldconfig -p.
That will show all the places the compiler looks for libraries.  If it does not
show BLT correctly, and as long
as there is only one version of BLT in your system, it "ought" to work if you
add its BLT's  directory in /etc/ld.so.conf.  Then restart or run
/sbin/ldconfig.

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Doug Donalson; wrote:

> Note:  I have the exact problem with BLT.  The app make refuses
> to look anywhere but /usr/lib for BLT, even when all paths point
> elsewhere.  I even tried adding an environment variable to point
> the correct folder.  What gives?
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Doug

> * Doug Donalson                          * Office: (805) 893-2962         *

Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science                Office: (913) 864-9086
University of Kansas                      FAX: (913) 864-5700
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                    Home: (913) 842-9916