RE: Swarm -> Windows-NT...

From: Steven Clark
Subject: RE: Swarm -> Windows-NT...
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:07:25 -0400

Consider Lisp.  Back in the good old days, people developed special
hardware to run Lisp programs.  However, around the mid '70s stock
hardware running less efficient but portable software Lisp environments
won out.  The large demand for stock hardware caused the time from
laboratory to product to be much shorter for stock hardware than for
Lisp hardware.  This resulted in the software Lisp environments running
faster because, although they were less efficient, they were available
on the latest generation of hardware, while the Lisp machines were
running last year's hardware generation.

The moral of the story:  if you can increase the user base of Swarm by a
factor of ten by sacrificing 10% of its efficiency, you will end up with
a net gain in efficiency.  The larger user base will drive a larger
Swarm development effort, which will give you a better Swarm than if you
applied less development effort to an initially more efficient Swarm.
(I realize I am blurring the difference between hardware development
effort and software development effort.  I think it is justified in this
case.)

Steven J. Clark       address@hidden       313-769-4396
Center for Electronic Commerce, Industrial Technology Institute
Box 1485, Ann Arbor, MI  48106