Re: Swarm -> Windows-NT...

From: Jason L . Asbahr
Subject: Re: Swarm -> Windows-NT...
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:26:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hi!

> The company is porting unix to run as a separate sub-system under NT, and
> seem to be fairly far along in the process. While the product is currently
> based on the Microsoft C/C++ compiler, they are porting gcc for release
> 'soon'. As for objective-C, they said that "Objective C will not be
> supported for the first release of gcc for OpenNT, but will be considered
> for a future release." Whatever that means ...

Of course, there's always OPENSTEP/NT or soon-to-be-known-as Rhapsody/NT
or somesuch.  Objective-C runtime, compiler, IDE, and NeXT classes that
runs on NT.  I'm consulting on a project now that uses this for WebObjects
development for NT, and it's pretty sweet...

Wouldn't a port to Apple/NeXTish Objective-C be a good intermediate
step before embarking on a Java re-write?

Jason Asbahr                    808 Sul Ross  Suite 7
C.R.A.S.H.                      Houston, Texas  77006
address@hidden                 (713) 942-7937  voice

PS -- Looking forward to parallel Swarm  :-)