Re: Swarm -> Windows-NT...

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: Swarm -> Windows-NT...
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 11:34:23 -0700

At 12:16 PM 5/20/97 -0500, Sven N. Thommesen wrote:

>Those interested in NT might take a look at
><http://www.softway.com/OpenNT/home.htm>.
>
>The company is porting unix to run as a separate sub-system under NT, and
>seem to be fairly far along in the process. While the product is currently
>based on the Microsoft C/C++ compiler, they are porting gcc for release
>'soon'. As for objective-C, they said that "Objective C will not be
>supported for the first release of gcc for OpenNT, but will be considered
>for a future release." Whatever that means ...

Cygnus Solutions <http://www.cygnus.com> has already ported over the GCC and
the GNU binary utilities, and they have create a Unix-like library called
cygwin32 which makes compiling many GNU programs (which are very Unixy) a
breeze.  Stuff like make, bash, gcc, gdb, bison, autoconf, and so on.

I am currently using it for the GNUstep software on Windows NT, support for
ObjC is just a matter of compiling the ObjC runtime library.

Scott

ps: Supposedly one can compile X11R6.3 and the tk and tcl libraries so that
you can run an X server and X application on NT.