Is a program really GNU? (was Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: www.gnu.org)

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Is a program really GNU? (was Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: www.gnu.org)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:51:48 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Ok, I agree with this. Looking in /software/package/ is an easy way to
> find out if a project is actually GNU software.

Please do *not* use that as a canonical way for figuring out if a program is
actually a GNU program or not.  Please use fp:/gd/gnuorg/maintainers.

> And if it does not have a page here, the free software directory

The Free Software Directory should be correct, too.  Janet and I did some
work a while back to make sure the maintainers file and the directory were
in sync with each other.  However, it's worth checking both just to be sure
they say the same thing.  (If they don't, tell us!)

> and search engine do a good job.

I am not sure what this means.  I hope you don't mean that you just search
for the project on the web and see if it says it's a GNU program.  Many
people call their software "GNU" as a tribute to us, but have never actually
contacted us about it.

BTW, if you find a project that looks like it might be GNU but there is
ambiguous information, please email <address@hidden> and let us know.
We'll DTRT to figure out what's going on.