Re: [RP] :dedicated-mode

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] :dedicated-mode
Date: Fri Feb 27 17:12:15 2004

Quoth John Meacham <address@hidden> on or about Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:11:57 -0800:
> This reminds me of a feature I have wanted for a while, A seperation of
> 'current frame' from 'spawning frame'. current frame has focus, and
> spawning frame is where new windows appear. what I would like is a
> single new command
> 'sselect' (or spawn-select) which works just like fselect except chooses
> the spawning frame, in addition to typing the number of a frame you can
> press 'b' to have them spawn in the background or 'c' to switch back to
> it following the current frame.
>
> This would totally be a great improvement as you could just set the
> spawning frame to something other than the current frame and just keep
> typing commands, and watching the progress in the spawning frame.
>
> it would be especially useful for doing X development. or when waiting
> for something to load which likes to pop up lots of splash screens, yet
> you want to watch the progress and not condemn it to the background
> alltogether.

There are two issues:
* Which frame new windows are put in.
    (currently first empty frame, else current frame).
* If keyboard focus changes.
    (currently yes).

I don't think it's practical to say `spawn in frame 4', because frame
numbers change.  The user should say that, but it's remembered
internally by a frame's session-unique identifier (n-th created).
That way RP won't get confused if you :remove and then later :split.

How are frames currently listed internally?  Just a linked-list?

-trent