RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm synchro

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm synchro
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:11:16 -0400

I use SQL

I would think that it is easier to modify my SQL queries to use XMLRPC since
the rest of the logic is there - but if you want to start from scratch,
that's you're perogative

I would be interested in XMLRPC based conduits, but as I've stated before, I
_suspect_ you will find holes in the XMLRPC code that you will have to
modify to provide the required information from phpgw

For example let's look at the memo application (the easiest one since there
are the fewest fields)

The problem that I ran into was, if I transfer info to the Palm and then one
source or the other modifies it (or both sources are modified), then how do
I match them up again?  If I don't match them up, the user will end up with
two versions of the same note.  Since I had the match-up table, I could
increase the speed of the program since I didn't always have to check every
record for a match, just look it up in the table with a single, simple SQL
SELECT statement

I found it necessary to create a table that had four fields, a sequential id
number, the record number from phpgw, the corresponding record number from
the Palm, and the user account ID (for multiuser environment).

I decided that the phpgw database was ideal for these tables (one per
conduit) - I'm positive that the XMLRPC won't return values for tables you
have added, so that means you need to write XMLRPC code

All this sounds a little pessimistic, I should point out that the I think
that XMLRPC is the long term solution since it can provide a uniform
interface for numerous add-on programs ... but don't expect to simply use
it, you will have to modify it