pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image

From: Paul Crawford
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 23:27:17 +0100

Now it looks like decoding is done by "uulib", probably an imported
library, according to source file uulib/uudeview.h. The part that does
yEnc-decoding, uunconc.c says

 * This file is part of uudeview, the simple and friendly multi-part
 multi- * file uudecoder  program  (c) 1994-2001 by Frank Pilhofer. The
 author may * be contacted at address@hidden

(so I Cc:ed that address)

Please don't bother Frank about pan. Last I looked at it, Pan uses its own internal copy it compiles into pan statically, after having modified it some from the original. And the copy pan uses is pretty old, too. uudeview is much more robust now, than pan's copy (tho I don't know for sure if they've fixed that issue). I know as back when I actually did binaries (I haven't for a couple years), if pan had problems with a binary, I used to save the files as text, then use uudeview to decode them properly. It handled decoding FAR better than pan did.

Olaf's suggestion was on the right lines, and it looks more like a posting problem than specifically a decoding problem.

If I manually edit the ends of part 1 & 2 to cut off the stuff that says something like this:

END ----- CUT HERE --- CUT HERE --- femjoy_111637_059.jpg

Then the saved file is decoded OK.

However, there is no clear reason why it decodes OK inside pan without doing this!

These examples do not have the sort of format that Olaf's example did, where it said something that looks intended to clearly delimit the encoded block from surrounding text:

=ybegin part=1 line=128 size=512683 name=Henrietta (7).jpg
=ypart begin=1 end=249600
...lots of yEnc stuff...
=yend size=249600 part=1 pcrc32=757a256a

I also tried the uudeview program on the messages with the same results, so it is not something "fixed" in the yEnc library later, but it is something pan is doing as a "pre-processing" step when viewing, that it is not doing when "save as" is invoked.

Now this is not so important in the grand (or should that be 'gland' ?) scale of things, but it would be nice to fix it so at least saving is the same as viewing.

I presume whoever posted those images could read/save them with some other newsreader, and it would be nice for pan to be more robust in handling poorly formed yEnc messages if possible.

Hence my attempt to find how/where it happens with a view to fixing it if possible.

Regards,
Paul