pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image

From: Paul Crawford
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:59:18 +0100

walt wrote:
Well, I fixed it, sorta but not really.  Take a look at uulib/uunconc.c
line 476:
/*  suspicious = 1;    we're careful here REMOVED 0.4.15 __FP__ */

The HISTORY file says this about version 0.4.15:
- in previous versions, I have very much relaxed the checking for uudecoded
  lines (valid_data()). Now I only allow the less strong code (meaning,
allow the data look more weird, more off the specs) if I'm sure it actually
  _is_ uuencoded data. This should work in all cases because it was usually
  only the last line with was "erroneous"

Adding that commented line back in fixes the breakage at least for
*this* particular example jpeg, but WTF knows what else it might break.

I also see comments in the code that this line probably broke xxdecoding
and that's why Frank commented it out.  Wikipedia says xxencode is now
obsolete, so I'd rather have it broken than uuencode.

Anyway, this change obviously is a matter of taste unless someone can
find a better fix for it.

While the original articles have been expired from my newserver (crap, I know...) similar ones on another group seem to be fixed by this modification. If it really was only commented out for xxencode can we assume it is worth having in now?

The decoder for viewing appears to have a more robust test (looking for 'end' & 'cut') so maybe that could be added to keep things more resilient?

Regards,
Paul