pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 05:52:41 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:11:47 -0700 as excerpted:

> The example you cited is not yencoded, it's uuencoded.  After perusing
> wikipedia's article on uuencoding I think I can explain this much:
>
> Here are the last few encoded lines from part 1 of the 3-part post:
>
> M2;>A=K&CJ^W2(%G1]S`?)@]&KDM8UJ?5K-%EA`*-]\=Z2]:ZU)XTV$1LQQ\V
> M<'N:N6VFR1PO;D9=?F!![5JK)"W-_0;>"WTR%50;F`W9ZU?-M!!O<$':00N<
> M8^E9&G,\B9VC*]CZC^M17KSD3329"1XR1P?H*CEN[EQ5RYJ%RP\QE8C`^7G. END -----
> CUT HERE --- CUT HERE --- femjoy_111637_061.jpg

Ouch!  AFAIK, a UUE attachment shouldn't have an end line if it's not the
end of the attachment.  So pan's doing the right thing as you explained,
and whatever user-agent whoever it was that sent that post is using, is
sending corrupt UUE.

OTOH, AFAIK UUE was never actually formally standardized and there are
several variants in the implementation as a result.  This would
apparently be one of them.

If pan's displaying it correctly, and as previously stated it uses
different code for handling display vs save (and that does fit with what
I know of pan from remarks over the years, tho I'm not a coder and rarely
look at code myself), then perhaps the thing to do, for a coder that can
actually read what's going on anyway, would be to look at how the display
code handles it, and use the same technique on the save code, creating a
patch as appropriate, then filing it in pan bugzilla as well as posting
it here for K Haley to include in his repository.