pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:32:00 +0200

On Sun 09 Aug 2009 at 22:00:22 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Rhialto posted on Sun, 09 Aug 2009 21:58:37 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > Now it looks like decoding is done by "uulib", probably an imported
> > library, according to source file uulib/uudeview.h. The part that does
> > yEnc-decoding, uunconc.c says
> >
> >  * This file is part of uudeview, the simple and friendly multi-part
> >  multi- * file uudecoder  program  (c) 1994-2001 by Frank Pilhofer. The
> >  author may * be contacted at address@hidden
> >
> > (so I Cc:ed that address)
>
> Please don't bother Frank about pan.

Ok, but the version of uudeview I looked at (0.5.20) has the same
problem still. For decoding yEncoded files, I recommend ydec, which I
found here: http://www.yenc.org/download/ydec-schellenberger.zip
That version handles this issue properly.

Archive:  ydec-schellenberger.zip
  Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
    25984  02-16-02 16:52   ydec-Schellenberger.c
 --------                   -------
    25984                   1 file

I probably modified it slightly to get it to compile on 64 bits Unix.

> Last I looked at it, Pan uses its
> own internal copy it compiles into pan statically, after having modified
> it some from the original.  And the copy pan uses is pretty old, too.

Time to update it then! Too bad that the original $Id$ tags are not
available, that would make it easier to merge in the Pan changes. Now
one will have to guess which differences are Pan's (I've seen two so far
I think; they are marked as a change for Pan) and which (most of them
probably) are uulib's progess.

Alhough... hm... what I see now suggests that the originally imported
version was also called 0.5pl20... but the differences seem too much
then, to me. I'm getting confused now.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.