Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:58:46 -0700

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Felipe Contreras <address@hidden> wrote:
I think it should be an option. Otherwise the people that want a
single message would have trouble running a git filter-branch command
to strip the message out. It would be much easier to do that in the
mtn export.

Looking through the pidgin repo that I have here, there are several commits with multiple changelog's some of which consist of a single 'a' character. Selecting one of these arbitrarily is going to select the 'a' changelogs sometimes which I suspect is also not what you want, unless you're thinking of a different option that I am. As I recall what you wanted was an option to just grab one changelog and use that right? Maybe the longest changelog would be the best one to use? I see several other revisions with multiple distinct changelogs that seem like they would be good to preserve as well.

I'm somewhat reluctant to add an option that does this because it does not seem like a general thing that anyone else will want and it seems like it will just move your problem around a bit. Instead of getting changelogs you don't want you'll be missing changelogs you do want.

The other options here are to (1) filter the exported data and remove the messages you don't want or (2) delete the unwanted changelog certs from a copy of your monotone database and export from that. Both of these should be scriptable without too much trouble although Identifying the specific changelogs to drop will probably be rather tedious.

I don't know the exact commit id in the Pidgin repo, but I can assure
you, it's there.

Oh I beleive you, but it still might be useful to see the actual real data and do something based on that. So, if you do come across the revision id, I'd still like to see it.

no author cert: '<unknown>'
user_id not mapped: '<user_id>'
user_id mapped: obvious

The current code works mostly like this. In the unmapped case it only adds '<' and '>' when neither is present. There are monotone users who have their keys named like "User Name <address@hidden>" and adding another set of '<' and '>' around these wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, I've been able to reach a little further and now I've finally
found a difference in the trees between your and my method. In
Pidigin's repo there's a commit
'3f1b3854a77850131531d1d6f19c44a0b9174107' that in my method some
files have exec flag off, and with your method it has the exec flag
on. Can you take a look?

Good catch. The monotone checkout of this revision has execute bits on some files that the git checkout does not. I'll have to do some digging to see what's going wrong here.

Now I'm using a bit different method so I'll be able to test faster.

The latest monotone git_export code runs quite a bit faster as well. I can export the pidgin repo I have here in a little over an hour instead of the 5 hours it was taking previously.

Cheers,
Derek