Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Paul Aurich
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:26:04 -0800

On Feb 27, 2009, at 21:41, Derek Scherger wrote:
My impression at the moment is that the exported history does have correct permissions because it agrees with a monotone checkout (which requires addition of a branch cert) of the same revision. It seems that there are two different problems with monotone here (1) checkout is not possible for revisions that have no branch certs and (2) update doesn't always produce correct execute permissions.

Felipe discovered what I believe to be the cause of this a few months ago [1]. As I understand the issue, there is no `mtn update` hook for unsetting execute bits, so unsetting that attribute doesn't have any effect. However, when doing an update that would involve moving very far through history (say, from the revision Felipe mentions in that email to h:im.pidgin.pidgin), I believe Monotone optimizes that operation to 'check out the new manifest [and apply working changes]', and as the mtn:exec property isn't set on the files in the target revision, the file's exec bit is unset.

I may have some of the details of how Monotone handles these cases wrong, but hopefully my description is clear enough to be sensible. And of course, credit for discovering and figuring out why it sometimes does work go to Felipe and some people in #pidgin (sorry, I don't remember who, specifically).

~Paul

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2008-12/msg00082.html