Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:38:56 -0700

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Felipe Contreras <address@hidden> wrote:
>> As I said, my objective is to generate git clone for people to
>> develop/follow/maintain instead of the mtn repo, in this case there no
>> need to have every single bit of information since the mtn repo would
>> still be available.
>
> Does a bit of "extra" information hurt this use-case somehow?

Yes, because you see two changelogs appended instead of one, possibly
with the comments too. It doesn't look like a native git repo.

>> On the other hand, when a project moves away from mtn to git, then
>> your method makes more sense.

It seems to me that this directly contradicts your previous statement, that "looking like a native git repo" is somehow important for a mirrored repository and yet unimportant for a converted repository. Nonetheless, I'm tired of arguing about this and I've added a --use-one-changelog option that picks one and uses it. I will be very surprised if anyone else ever uses this option but it's harmless.

Could you make a patch that gets rid of the 'no branch' error?

With any luck at all someone else will beat me to it. I've got too many other things on the go at the moment to get to this now but I will eventually if no one else does.

Cheers,
Derek