Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Felipe Contreras
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 01:43:30 +0200

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 12:31 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:59:04PM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Appending two changelogs will never look 'natural', besides, some
>> people might not like the way two changelogs are appended. I think
>> that's the kind of decision that a team should do when converting a
>> repository. I'm just mirroring, I don't want to think about that, just
>> produce something that looks good and it's functional.
>
> It's important that information be round-trip-stable.  That is, if info
> goes fom git to monotone, back to get, back to monotone, at some point
> it should stop changing.

That will never be possible, there are many incompatibilities between
git and mtn:

a) git branches are just pointers, so a tree where there's a commit in
the middle that is in no branch (b->b->X->b->b), can't be stored in
git.

b) multiple and special certs can't be stored reliably. For example a
'comment' cert, you can append it to the log, but it won't have the
key information. Or the manual merge flag, etc.

c) certificate stuff can't be stored

There's many other things... in short it's just not possible to
convert from mtn to git and back again without loosing information.
IMO the amount of information is a threshold that would vary.

--
Felipe Contreras