lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser

From: Marco De la Cruz
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:21:49 -0500

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> I'm rather surprised that, if coverage is being considered, that you would
> not ask what the unique features of lynx are (other than the obvious
> text orientation).

-- Small footprint! Can run multiple sessions without
   grinding down the system. On a text terminal
   a lynx/w3m/screen combination is unbeatable
   (but lynx by itself is just fine).

-- It shows the URL of the selected link at the
   bottom in "advanced mode", allowing me to easily
   cut and paste the information without actually
   going to the site. I have to see the document's
   source (in Nestcape) to do this.

-- Easy editing of URLs from the bottom command line.

-- Dozens of command-line options which newbies
   need not know about to get around, but which
   are extremely useful if you learn them.

-- History remembers _all_ the visited documents.

-- Can edit text fields with text editor of my
   choice (dunno if the graphical browers allow
   this). Emacs is far, far more powerful than
   anything the other guys have built-in.

-- In a similar vein to the above, calling an external
   image viewer is a much more versatile option.

-- Moving back and forth between long pages (e.g.
   mailing list archives) is _much_ faster in Lynx.

-- User-Agent spoofing (not that I ever do it, I'm a proud
   user of Lynx :)

-- It doesn't crash.

I work on an Indy. 90% of the time I use Lynx.
For retrieval of information (as opposed to ads
with dancing clowns) it can't be beat.

address@hidden
Gunnm: Broken Angel
http://128.100.80.13/marco/alita.html