lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:42:34 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> I'm rather surprised that, if coverage is being considered, that you would
> not ask what the unique features of lynx are (other than the obvious
> text orientation).
>
> Perhaps those of you who are using some of the unique features of lynx
> would like to chime in with your favorite feature of lynx not found
> in the mainstream browsers?

For text browser users, Lynx *is* pretty "mainstream".  If it were
preloaded by OEMs, perhaps more people would be likely to use it. <g>

Some of the features for which I rely upon Lynx are:

1) Ability to parse HTML pages into "clear text" within a script for use
   in programs and in instances where HTML is not appropriate or native
   HTML parsing is not available.

2) Very rapid fetch and display of Web pages (and without large or
   spinning graphics which can tend to distract from reading the author's
   core information.)

3) List of full URL of link references on the page (available in some
   other browsers, but not all -- and available to scripts with Lynx
   so that the lists may be parsed further as needed).

4) Text interface allows remote operation, checks, and even
   certain diagnostics to be performed on distant machines to which the
   user has "logged in" (without the need to export high volume graphics
   data across the line).

Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., PMB #224; Phoenix, AZ 85032