lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 01:54:48 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Sondra Nelson wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm an editor at CNET and we're preparing for an upcoming feature on
> alternative browsers.  I was hoping you could confirm a few bits of
> information on Lynx.
>
> 1.  No graphics support

No builtin support for graphics, no support for inline rendering of
graphics.  But all image tags can be turned into links and can be
passed to an external program for display.  External image viewer
programs are often of higher quality than what is built into common
graphical browsers.

> 2. No support for Java, Javascript, ActiveX, frames or mouse devices.

As for the first three, true.

Frames: Lynx supports frames to the extent that it makes the contents
of all frames available.  Briefly described in the Users Guide, for
example here:
 http://www.crl.com/%7Esubir/lynx/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html#Frames

Mouse: mouse support is available in recent versions, depending on
platform and available libraries.  All versions compiled for MS Windows
normally have mouse support.

> 3.  Enter button activates links on web pages.

If you mean Enter key, yes.  With mouse support, clicking with the left
mouse button also activates links (as one would expect).

> 4.  527K download size.

Such a statement makes little sense: Lynx comes in multiple versions
(the latest "released" is 2.8.2, the latest "development" code is
2.8.3dev.14), forms (source vs. binary), and for many operating systems.
For some platforms (esp. DOS and Windows), several people make binary
versions available that differ in details (compiler used, libraries used,
optional or experimental features compiled in).  Not to mention different
packaging or compression methods.   So there isn't one "download size".

For the size of the source distribution, you can get an idea by visiting
e.g. <ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.2/>.  Sizes of current DOS and Windows
binary packages seem to range from below 700 K up to 1.2 M (you can check
the various links from <http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm>).

  Klaus