Re: New context modifier \CompletionRhythms?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New context modifier \CompletionRhythms?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 00:02:34 +0200

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 11:37 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Why would you even split note values across bars in "ancient music"?
>
> At the risk of being blunt: more generally, is there a legitimate use
> case for completion heads? It never occurred to me that some people
> (like Simon, it seems) might rely on it that regularly; I used to
> regard it as one of those feature that seem nice at first but that
> typically tend to encourage sloppy rhythmic writing.

If you have canons that shift by non-whole-bar amounts or work with
augmentation or compression, it allows you to still write the theme as
such only once.  Such canons spelled out as _only_ the theme were
popular puzzles in Baroque times, and basic barless notation is typical
for Renaissance polyphony.

So there is a time window where it makes sense.  And of course, you
might want to create both modern and old notation styles from the same
source.