Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 15:29:39 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:17 PM

On 2014/08/12 13:58:44, mail_philholmes.net wrote:

The problem is the other way round.  incipit-width is not scaled
within the
layout block, and so produces correct results for width.

I am not convinced that the results are "correct" when they are not
scaled the same as every other measure including "\mm".  Have you tried
my proposal?

indent and
short-indent are scaled, and so produce widths that are too small for
the
desired output.  Attached is a sample file that illustrates the
problem.

No attachment here.

In
it is a potential solution: using

scale-factor = #( / 1.0 (module-ref (current-module) 'mm) )

That would seem to be a satisfactory way of avoiding problems should
the way
scaling is done change in future?

I am skeptical.  The main problem I see is that when inheriting a
grob-layout as the start of a \layout block, then 3 will not be the same
as 3\mm.  We probably need a way to get at the unscaled layout, then
scale afterwards.  I would not want to _calculate_ the unscaled layout
since that buys us a buildup of numerical errors.

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/

Attachment was sent but may be stripped by the way it was delivered. Re-attached.

As to numerical errors: remember, all we're trying to do is get an indent (i.e. the space for the incipit) said to be 8 cm wide to appear as 8 cm, not 4.6 (approx.) Whether it's 8.001 cm or 7.999 cm is somewhat irrelevant.

--
Phil Holmes