Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:31:11 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> I really would not want to see x and y predefined as Scheme
>> identifiers.  It is far too likely that someone will write things
>> like
>>
>> x = { c' d' e' f' }
>>
>> and then everything relying on #x being 0 will go southwards.
>
> Well, this can happen with everything, so I think this argument is a
> bit lame.  Recently, I tried to define a macro `R', and of course I
> got an error.

That error message is much more clear and the problem much better
defined than what you will get if you reassign to something like X.

The problem in this case is not that LilyPond will refuse, but rather
that it will proceed.

> Maybe we can add some code to prevent the redefinition of `Scheme
> constants' (in the broadest sense) like x, y, left, right, #t, #f?

I don't think we can really do this for Scheme, so we'd lose the
Scheme/LilyPond equivalence of variables.