Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:05:16 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> virtually all grob properties are lowercase words separated with
>> dashes.  I think we should get rid of exceptions to this rule and make
>> all grob properties lowercase [...]:
>> self-alignment-[XY]
>> [XY]-extent
>> [XY]-offset
>> [...]
>
> The axis names are #X and #Y so I am not in favor.

What about changing axis names as well?
I don't insist on my proposal - and there may be something i don't
know about - but the current choice of naming seems to be rather
arbitrary.  If it's arbitrary indeed, i'd rather have the lowercase
version, because it's more convenient.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eluze wrote:
>> please also consider making LP fully case-insensitive
>
> We already had this discussion; I'm still strongly against this.

I'm also against LilyPond being case-insensitive.
However, I think when discussing case-sensitiveness, we agreed to a
following convention: LilyPond should differentiate between upper- and
lowercase, but no commands/properties/etc. should differ only by case.
So, i agree with Eluze that the inconsistency of direction keywords is
bad.  If it's ok when we write

\relative c' {
\set fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
\override Arpeggio #'direction = #right
<c-1 e-3 a-5>4\arpeggio
}

But when we write

\relative c' {
\set fingeringOrientations = #'(RIGHT)
\override Arpeggio #'direction = #RIGHT
<c-1 e-3 a-5>4\arpeggio
}

only Arpeggio direction will work, this *is* inconsistent user
interface (but the solution to this problem isn't to make Lily
case-insensitive - the solution is to fix the interface).

best,
Janek