Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:34:38 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> The axis names are #X and #Y so I am not in favor.
>>
>> What about changing axis names as well?
>
> I'm all for it.

Not really easy.  We have in C++ macros X Y LEFT RIGHT etc, and making
them lowercase would heavily conflict with typical variable names.
Making things different between C and Scheme here is definitely an
option.  However, conflicts between variables x and y and X and Y are
still very likely.  Granted: with lexical closure and without using
things like the C preprocessor, the conflicts will tend to occur only
locally.

Still, I doubt that we would be doing programmers a net favor over the
current names.  I am not particularly enamored to them, but I don't see
an exit strategy with reasonable long-term benefits either.  At least
not if we are talking about a mere renaming change without significant
other changes.