Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:15:31 +0100

Eluze <address@hidden> writes:

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote
>> Eluze writes:
>>
>>> please also consider making LP fully case-insensitive
>>
>> Why consider stupid ideas?  While it was a misguided
>> thing to do with ascii, especially in the era of utf-8
>> case-insensivity has become an impossible can of worms.
>
> lol - I gave an idea of what I mean, so please read (and answer to)
> the full contribution!
>
> your silly answer isn't really a push towards a user-friendly interface!

We had that discussion a few times already and the reasoning has not
changed.  Upper/lowercase is not defined independently from locale, and
having identifiers being the same or different depending on the current
locale is not the best idea.  For example, in Turkish, the following are
upper/lowercase pairs: I/ı and İ/i.  In some languages, the uppercase
characters lose any accents they might have as lowercase letters.

And so forth and so on.  There is no such thing as "fully
case-insensitive".