help-gnats

Re: patch to display new PR number for new submissions

From: dirk bergstrom
Subject: Re: patch to display new PR number for new submissions
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:56:24 -0800

Andrew J. Gray expounded at length upon:
> I have a concern that the changes it makes to the gnatsd command
> protocol break the assumption that clients should not attempt to parse
> the message strings on response lines from the server
> I was thinking that it would be more consistent to have the server
> return:
> 351-The added PR number is:
> 350 68

hmmm.  very good point.  i think that's a heck of a lot easier to program
to.  if i may make a suggestion, it might be clearer as:

210-PR submission accepted.
351-The new PR was assigned number:
350 68

that way you get a clear 210 (OK) response, and the PR number as
additional information.

furthermore, if you're going to make the change to SUBM, i think it would
be good to consider the response to the CHDB command.  currently gnats
replies with the access level, but it must be parsed out of the string:

200 snowy.juniper.net GNATS server 4.0-beta2 ready.
chdb default dbergstr foo
210-Now accessing GNATS database 'default'
210 User access level set to 'edit'

this might be better as:

200 snowy.juniper.net GNATS server 4.0-beta2 ready.
chdb default dbergstr foo
210-Now accessing GNATS database:
350-default
351-User access level set to:
350 edit

or something like that...

i bring this up because i've just written a java gnats client, and had to
go out of my way to parse both replies...

--
Dirk Bergstrom               address@hidden
Juniper Networks Inc.,          Computer Geek