help-gnats

java gnats client

From: dirk bergstrom
Subject: java gnats client
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:56:17 -0800

i recently found it necessary to write java code to submit PRs to gnats.
rather than get involved with pr-edit & temp files (and the attendant race
conditions), i decided to do the Right Thing and talk gnatsd protocol.
being an opensource afficianado, i googled around and found that the
apache jakarta project had a nice package that talked smtp, pop3, ftp, and
a few other similar protocols:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/net/

a bit of search-n-replace gave me a good start, and a couple hours of
coding later i had the basics of a generalized java gnats client.  i now
have a good foundation for an extendable client, pretty solid methods for
PR submission (CHEK, SUBM), and some example code.  i sent an email to the
maintainers of the net package, asking if they were interested in a
submission.  they tell me that the package is in a probationary status,
and they can't really accept submissions unless there is demonstrated
developer interest.

to that end, i want to know how many of you would be interested in helping
to develop a java client.  i figure it would be a low-level activity --
when you need new functionality (or have too much free time) code it and
submit it.  nothing fancy.

i don't really have the time to do all the work necessary to get the code
i've got ready for submission (cleanup, writing test cases, extra
documentation, joining the jakarta commons developer list).  if it were
just me, i'd let it slide.  but if there is genuine interest, and some
help, i could make the time, as long as i didn't have to do it all alone.

so, who's interested?

--
Dirk Bergstrom               address@hidden
Juniper Networks Inc.,          Computer Geek