help-gnats

Re: patch to display new PR number for new submissions

From: Andrew J. Gray
Subject: Re: patch to display new PR number for new submissions
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:37:13 +1100

> > I was thinking that it would be more consistent to have the server
> > return:
> > 351-The added PR number is:
> > 350 68

> to.  if i may make a suggestion, it might be clearer as:
>
> 210-PR submission accepted.
> 351-The new PR was assigned number:
> 350 68
>
> that way you get a clear 210 (OK) response, and the PR number as
> additional information.

Thanks for that suggestion.  However, I am still inclined towards
dropping the 210 and only sending the 351 and 350 if the PR is created
successfully.  To me the 351 and 350 make it clear enough to a person
trying to understand the protocol that the PR submission was
successful.  I think for people implementing clients having a simpler,
shorter expected response should be easier.  Also the current
documentation for codes 200-299 says "No subsequent data will be
transmitted with the response".

Does anyone else have an opion on this?

> furthermore, if you're going to make the change to SUBM, i think it would
> be good to consider the response to the CHDB command.  currently gnats
> replies with the access level, but it must be parsed out of the string:
>
> 200 snowy.juniper.net GNATS server 4.0-beta2 ready.
> chdb default dbergstr foo
> 210-Now accessing GNATS database 'default'
> 210 User access level set to 'edit'
>
> this might be better as:
>
> 200 snowy.juniper.net GNATS server 4.0-beta2 ready.
> chdb default dbergstr foo
> 210-Now accessing GNATS database:
> 350-default
> 351-User access level set to:
> 350 edit
>
> or something like that...

Thanks for pointing that case out.  I'm not sure that the database
changed to is information clients need to parse, as I understand the
semantics of the CHDB command if it is successful it must have changed
to the database specified by the client.  I'm also inclined to stick
to the "rule" of not following 210s with data, giving something like:

chdb default dbergstr foo
351-Now accessing GNATS database 'default'
351-User access level set to:
350 edit

I will look at coding this case also.  I will need to look at what
impact these changes would have on current clients before committing
them.

--
Andrew J. Gray