h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] changes to the h-node.org website

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] changes to the h-node.org website
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:32:15 +0200

> Perhaps we could use these options?
>
> - not-specified
> - no
> - yes, usually shipped with non free OS installed
> - yes, usually shipped with free OS installed

How can we decide if it's "usually"?  Most existing data is based on
what a user observes with their specific machine, in this way we can
know only that it might be shipped with a nonfree OS or without.

I'm not sure how no OS should be handled here: it doesn't mean that
nonfree software is installed (what about bootloaders?) and it doesn't
mean that a free distro works or is supported.

> In the case it is usually shipped with non free OS (that can be
> replaced) we could add the suggested text:

> This device ships with proprietary software pre-installed. It can be upgraded
> to free software, which is why it is listed on h-node.org.

Show it unless we know that it's never shipped with proprietary
software?  (I.e. has free boot firmware (not "can be installed") and a
free OS preinstalled or no OS.)