h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] changes to the h-node.org website

From: Luis Guzman
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] changes to the h-node.org website
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:53:27 -0500

El jue, 06-06-2013 a las 21:50 +0200, Michał Masłowski escribió:
> > 3. The items that ship with proprietary software pre-installed (laptops and
> > routers, not sure if there are other categories) should say something along
> > the lines of
> >
> > =============================================================================
> > This device ships with proprietary software pre-installed. It can be
> > upgraded
> > to free software, which is why it is listed on h-node.org.
> > =============================================================================
>
> This isn't necessarily true: not on all laptops users reporting them
> have successfully installed a free operating system, implementations of
> restricted boot might prevent it (e.g. in future when there will be ARM
> systems supported by free distros).  The "can free operating systems be
> installed?" field was added for this, so users know what laptops to
> avoid.  Should the second sentence be shown only if this field is set to
> "yes"?

As Michał mention before, there is the "can free operating systems be
installed?" field, besides, most of the manufactures changes the
software on different regions, so there is no standard for that.

Once, in a Peruvian supermarket, i found a model of notebooks that we're
sold with a customized GNU/Linux distro, it was a non-free one, at that
point is easy to change it for any distro free or non free, maybe we
could change the first statement with;
"Can the pre-installed proprietary OS be replaced with a free one?"
- Yes
- No
- Comes with a free OS

Or something like this.

> There is no router category yet.  Would it be useful when such devices
> need specific support from the distro running on them?

With the addition of LibreWRT [1] to the FSF approved distro list,
should we add the router category as if it works or not with LibreWRT?
What other fields should be on that category?

1 -
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/announcing-the-newest-fully-free-gnu-linux-distribution-librewrt

Cheers!
--