h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] changes to the h-node.org website

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] changes to the h-node.org website
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 20:10:03 +0200

> "Can the pre-installed proprietary OS be replaced with a free one?"
> - Yes
> - No
> - Comes with a free OS

I think the only problem with the existing question is that some devices
might come with a free OS (none do yet), maybe in some variants only
(e.g. YeeLoongs from Freedom Included had gNewSense preinstalled).  Your
question technically allows considering a system that cannot be replaced
free, I believe we shouldn't list this option.

Maybe add a "yes, is preinstalled" option to the existing field?  We
need to clarify when it should be used if there are variants or options
with nonfree systems.

>> There is no router category yet.  Would it be useful when such devices
>> need specific support from the distro running on them?
>
> With the addition of LibreWRT [1] to the FSF approved distro list,
> should we add the router category as if it works or not with LibreWRT?
> What other fields should be on that category?

The distro needs specific support for each device, their list should be
authoritative (it lists two devices [0]).  Ask their developers if
h-node would be useful for them and what fields should be added?

There are many existing discussions of non-laptop computers, we might
add them as laptop subtypes; it isn't an appropriate solution for
routers.

(Normal computers running Trisquel are also useful as routers.)

[0] http://librewrt.org/index.php?title=Hardware_Support