gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:48:36 -0700

Yo David!

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 16:49:48 +0100
"David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Roger Oberholtzer
>
> We want PPS as well as NMEA. Not many receivers were suggested in my
> recent question to the list. This is a new type of GPS for us. We
> have always used high-end Trimble, Applanix or OxTS devices. I can't
> say we are excited by the Garmin devices. Other suggestions are
> welcome. ====================
>
> All the receivers I listed do NMEA as well as PPS.  There is no
> longer any need to pay thousands of dollars to get excellent
> performance.

Actually, them's fighting words on time-nuts.  But for our purposes
I agree.

> As to "old" code:  if it works well enough, why change it?  You are
> going to introduce new and unexpected problems before it's fit for
> general use.
>
> The latest NTP code is 4.2.8p8 dated 2016-Jun-02, not "seven months
> old" as reported here.

Yeah, show me!  Here is the pointer to the git:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDevelopment

Here is the git:

https://github.com/ntp-project/ntp.git

Sure, newer binary released, but not newer source.  At lesat not on their
declared primary repository.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588