gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 16:49:48 +0100

From: Roger Oberholtzer

We want PPS as well as NMEA. Not many receivers were suggested in my recent question to the list. This is a new type of GPS for us. We have always used high-end Trimble, Applanix or OxTS devices. I can't say we are excited by the Garmin devices. Other suggestions are welcome.

All the receivers I listed do NMEA as well as PPS. There is no longer any need to pay thousands of dollars to get excellent performance.

As to "old" code: if it works well enough, why change it? You are going to introduce new and unexpected problems before it's fit for general use.

The latest NTP code is 4.2.8p8 dated 2016-Jun-02, not "seven months old" as reported here.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden