Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Ranked Robot (fwd)

From: aquarius
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Ranked Robot (fwd)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +0200

Hi,

sorry for my late answer but I discovered problems with
GoGui's TwoGtp and had to run part of the tests again
1) it would not recognize the komi it gets from GoGui
   -> gnugo didn't know komi was negative
2) it could not cope with resigning
   -> games were not counted in statistics due to "errors"

below are results for case 4 , 9x9 and 19x19.

Gunnar Farnebäck wrote:
aquarius wrote:
I'm running some tests now for case 4, no handicap, on 9x9 and 19x19.
A first glimpse at the results shows that on 9x9 GNU Go does better
without the patch (8 wins out of 12 for white so far) than with it
(4 wins out of 12).

I don't think this patch will ever have any effect at all on 9x9 for
case 4. It would be very unusal to have 5x5 vertices around the middle
point empty after ten moves. :-)

You are right!
I just started the tests without having a closer look at the patch - sorry.
After 100 9x9 games W: 3.5.10          vs.  B: 3.5.10 mirroring
and   100 9x9 games W: 3.5.10 patched  vs.  B: 3.5.10 mirroring
I got these results:
Not patched: 44 wins out of 100 for white in total and 6 out of 19 after
duplicate elimination. Patched: 43 wins in total and 5 out of 18 unique.
All the black wins are mirror-games until the end and thus black wins
them only by 0.5 due to the -0,5 komi. This leads to a mean score of 6.4
for white(!) out of the 19 games (not patched) and 5.9 out of the 18 games.
Don't know if this is stasticically significant.

I'm not sure if there's any simple and safe strategy to break
mirroring on 9x9. There are patterns to play around the edges and get
first to capture, but there's a distinct risk that the opponent would
deviate and come out better.

Unfortunately I don't think the 11 winning games in the attachment will
give any valuable suggestions - a human player could always deviate saving
his middle group and coming out better IMO.

After 50 19x19 games W: 3.5.10          vs.  B: 3.5.10 mirroring
and   50 19x19 games W: 3.5.10 patched  vs.  B: 3.5.10 mirroring
I got these results:
Not patched: 9 wins out of 50 for white in total and 9 out of 49 after
duplicate elimination. All the black wins against white not patched are
mirror-games until the end and thus black wins them only by 0.5 due to the
-0,5 komi. This leads to a mean score of 3.5 for white(!) out of the 49 games.

Patched: 41 wins in total and 36 out of 45 unique. Mean score is 20.4 for white.
Black get's through with mirroring only once - see: test-am_19_001-2.sgf .
This is due to W: M10 in move 6 which breaks gnugo's method.
(could that easily be avoided?)
But what concernes me more are games 5 and 18 that B won by 55.5 resp 38.5.
I'm not able to find crucial mistakes in them, so some review would be fine.

NB: Black wanted to resign several times after loosing tengen but unfortunately
    I had to turn that off to make the games count. (revising Gogui + tools now
...)

Q: I had some difficulties applying the multi-file patch
   you supplied first. What is the proper way to apply it
   to a working copy with or without CVS?

happy GO - ing
     aquarius

P.S. will go on playing with the patch but please don't expect results as I will
     be offline for a week or so.