Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Ranked Robot (fwd)

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Ranked Robot (fwd)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:25:12 +0200

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 05:47:24PM +0200, Arend Bayer wrote:
> I got this question from Bill Shubert. Ideas anyone?
>
> Lately some clown on KGS has been playing as black, komi -0.5, against
> the gnugo robots, playing tengen as first move followed by mirror go.
> Obviously he wins all his games by 0.5 points. What would be your
> thought on teaching gnugo how to defeat a mirror go game? :-) I think
> the hard part would be noticing mirror go - once it is spotted, a simple
> pattern to force the player to break mirror go (or else lose) would do
> the trick.

Actually, I guess Bill has it backwards: It must be relatively trivial
to check if the board state is symmetric, but it may be harder to create
a sequence of moves that breaks the symmetry or wins - on any symmetric
board. A simple pattern approach can be defeated by playing
(symmetrically) in the center where the pattern will have to match.

-H

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk