Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces

From: aquarius
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:10:06 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

first: I'm deeply impressed by the results
       of the SlugGo experiment! Congrats!

Max-d wrote:
> > David G Doshay wrote:
> > > Does GoGui talk to Go++?
> Arend wrote:
> > No. What I mean is: Use Max' auto_go to make a match between Go++ and a
> > GTP engine. As GTP engine on the windows machine, you use
> > 'netgtp [hostname] [port]'
> > where hostname and port are the machine and port on which your cluster
> > is listening.
> >
> > Arend
>
> David
>
> This should be not very difficult to do
> I just must learn how to listen/talk to winsocks
> this should be possible with that
> http://www.overbyte.be/frame_index.html
>
> Arend's solution using "netgtp" should be feasable too.
> Just i need time !

IMHO the combination of autogo by Max-d, netgtp.jar out of M. Enzenbergers's
GoGui package, Java by Sun and any Go-Software that autogo can auto-operate
should work right out of the box on windows - the tools should fit just like
a puzzle - no further programming needed :-) (Tip: simply think of netgtp
replacing the GnuGo part in an autogo run)

One would call netgtp this way:
java -jar netgtp.jar [-config file] [-help] [-version] hostname port
or javaw -jar netgtp.jar ... to suppress java from popping up a console.

But ... this would imply that autogo conducts the whole set of games because
that is the way it is designed: Sort of a two"gtp" controller/autotester for
GTP-agnostic Go-engines on windows.

one further comment ...
Max-d: If you would just drop the controller part of autogo the leftover(s)
could be turned into one or more GTP-to-"Click_Me"-Adapters which would be
very useful on their own because they would make GTP-Engines out of the
"Click_Me"-Engines. Existing tools could be used to play those engines or to
conduct
match series.

Happy Go - ing
    aquarius