Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:23:45 -0700

On Aug 24, 2004, at 3:55 PM, Marco Scheurer wrote:

Can you share any information the territory and influence evaluation? Is it from GNU Go or something different?

The influence and territory functions are directly from GNU Go. We have not re-implemented anything that is inside of GNU Go. We add some hooks for our communication code, we inspect existing data structures and have a master process that implements the higher level orchestration of the multiple lookahead paths. The master process gathers results and makes the final evaluation. The move based weighting functions that multiply the influence and territory values are based upon tanh() cubed.

Our work is primarily at the level of the message passing between the nodes in the cluster, stuff like the pool manager that assigns available cpus, establishing the master slave hierarchy. Go is the testbed application for our infrastructure, so we are thrilled that the GNU Go folks have made such a great Go engine available. Without a public domain Go engine I doubt that I would have even tried this project.

Cheers,
David