[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:10:37 +0200

Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't like these option names, they don't mean much to me.
> How about --regexp and --match-summary? (Or is it --match-desc?)

Sounds reasonable.

> Actually, if you use a full featured glob library (that supports four
> things, like: project-*, 1.1.?, some{one,body}, b[iu]g), then I would
> prefer to see globs and not regexps. It may even be the default probably,
> since glob mata-chars are either invalid or rare in the namespace.
> Just please add --no-glob option if you make globs/regexps the default.

Glob would be a good thing, but are not in _my_ short term plans.

> The important thing it is not a substring search by default, like in the
> current rbrowse, i.e. there is "^$" added to the given limit/regexp/glob.

About limit, I finaly put only the ^, not the $, because otherwise,
limit can be used only to show one branch, which is never what you
want with browse.

Do you prefer a prefix search or a full string search by default?

> If you want to remove "abrowse", does this mean you remove these options
> (that we use in the frontends) without providing alternatives:
>
>   --categories, --branches, --versions

I was hoping that no one would use those :-(.

Since bazaar is going towards a flattened namespace, I thought they
would become useless in the future. rbrowse is already going in that
direction and does not display categories and branches individually,
but instead something like this:

address@hidden
  authinfo--main--0
    base-0 ... patch-2
  bazaar--a-test-for-file-history--1.5
    base-0 ... patch-2
  bazaar--abrowse-deprecated--1.5
    base-0 ... patch-4
  bazaar--archive-mirror--1.4
    base-0 ... patch-1
  bazaar--archive-mirror--1.5

Anyway, if you want to see categories and branches, aren't "baz
categories" and "baz branches" more appropriate?

BTW, "browse" has a --versions option, but not with the same output
format:

$ baz browse --versions | head

address@hidden/authinfo--main--0
address@hidden/bazaar--a-test-for-file-history--1.5
address@hidden/bazaar--abrowse-deprecated--1.5
address@hidden/bazaar--archive-mirror--1.4
address@hidden/bazaar--archive-mirror--1.5
address@hidden/bazaar--archive-mirror-req--1.4
address@hidden/bazaar--archive-mirror-submit--1.5
address@hidden/bazaar--authinfo--1.4
address@hidden/bazaar--authinfo-nopass--1.4
address@hidden/bazaar--bugfixes--1.4.3

This is actually much easier to use and parse (a simple xargs or the
use of `...` can do a lot in a one-liner).

I realize I should display this format only with --no-tree-view.

>     these are needed to greately speed up the output and not needlesly
>     traverse revision (patch-log) directories

With tla 1.0 archives, yes. With baz flattened archives, it shouldn't
make any difference.

>   --since, --omit-empty (rbrowse contains the first, but not the second?)

True.

>     these are needed to implement an efficient commit notification
>     system, like "axp triggers"

I have to look into this a bit more (never used those options).

>   --desc, --kind, --full (missing in rbrowse)
>
>   --reverse, --summary, --date, --creator (long versions are missing)

Not in 1.5.

> Please post "browse --help" output, when different from "abrowse".

print an outline describing an archive's contents
usage: baz browse [options] [[ARCHIVE_REGEX/]LIMIT_REGEX]

  -h, --help               Display a help message and exit.
  -H                       Display a verbose help message and exit.
  -V, --version            Display a release identifier string
  --all                    Search all archives
  --since SNAP-FILE        Only show differences since SNAP-FILE
  --snap SNAP-FILE         Snap an archive
  --snap-force             Force snap writing
  -r                       Reverse patch logs
  --show-sealed            Do not hide sealed branches
  -s, --summary            print the summary of each patch
  -c, --creator            print the creator of each patch
  -D, --date               print the date of each patch
  -m, --modified FILE      Show revisions modifying FILE
  --local-merges           list merges from the same archive
  --foreign-merges         list merges from other archives
  --merges                 list all merges
  -k, --kind               show each revision kind (import, changeset or id)
  -C, --cacherevs          show cached revisions
  --desc                   implies -s -c -D -k -C
  -l, --complete-log       Display complete log for each revision
  --patch-regex REGEX      Only show revisions that contain [REGEX]
                           (implies -s)
  -f, --full               print full patch level names
  --no-full                print short patch level names
  --tree-view              display the list of revisions as a tree
  --versions               display the list of versions, but not revisions
  --no-tree-view           display the list of revisions as a flat list

--
Matthieu