Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Obsoleting abrowse

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:05:07 +0000

On 29 Jul 2005 13:15:25 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> With the lasest modifications I've made to baz 1.5, abrowse is mostly
> a subset of rbrowse. The main strong point of abrowse was that it
> displayed the log information as it fetched it while rbrowse did it
> version per version, but rbrowse now does as abrowse.

[...]
> Deprecates abrowse in favor of rbrowse. Any objection to merge this in
> upstream before the 1.5 release?

Personally I never used rbrowse, only abrowse. I think the reason is that
all my use cases were to find something given the exact limit. There is a
fear that inexact search may return less or more [irrelevant] results
than needed, so I avoided inexact search.

I will miss abrowse. I think it is good to have a command operating on
the exact limit, rbrowse does not do this task very well. I would leave
2 commands with their specialized syntaxes as-is, even if you unite the
implementation. Or maybe add --regexp to "abrowse", I don't know...
In any case, I may cope with replacing abrowse if the new command does
not lose the functionality. [And BTW, I like that you changed rbrowse to
use consistent 2 spaces for indentation, less crutches for front-ends.]

Regards,
Mikhael.